SABMiller plc (LN:SAB; OTC:SABMRY) and Molson Coors Brewing Company (NYSE: TAP; TSX: TPX) reported that MillerCoors third quarter underlying net income increased 13.5 percent to $325.6 million versus prior year driven by positive pricing, favorable brand mix and continued strong cost management. Coors Light continued to grow volume and market share, and Tenth and Blake Beer Company continued to grow ahead of the overall craft segment.
“This quarter we delivered significant profit growth and improved our year-to-date share trend,” said MillerCoors Chief Executive Officer Tom Long. “Strong investment, clear positioning and packaging innovation for Coors Light have helped drive nearly eight consecutive years of growth for our largest brand. Tenth and Blake demonstrated the power of its portfolio, marked by the continued growth of Blue Moon Belgian White and Leinenkugel’s Summer Shandy. We have a pipeline of innovation to drive our largest brands, and we’re launching exciting above premium products nationally in early 2013. Strong cost management remains a priority, and we are committed to our net revenue strategy and focus on positive brand mix to drive value.”
Third Quarter Highlights
Unless otherwise indicated, all amounts are in U.S. dollars and calculated in accordance with U.S. GAAP. All percentages are versus the prior-year comparable period and include MillerCoors operations in the U.S. and Puerto Rico. All sales-to-retail (STRs) results are presented on a trading-day-adjusted basis, as the third quarter of 2012 had one fewer trading day compared with the same quarter in the prior year.
- Underlying net income (a non-GAAP measure) increased 13.5 percent to $325.6 million.
- Total net sales increased 1.5 percent to $1.994 billion.
- Domestic net revenue per barrel, excluding contract brewing and company-owned distributor sales, increased 3.6 percent.
- Total cost of goods sold (COGS) per barrel increased 0.5 percent.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts