By David Russell, reporter at OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- Electricity stock Calpine (CPN) has been steadily trending higher for more than a year, and the bulls are looking for the energy to continue.
OptionMonster's tracking programs detected the purchase of 7,500 June 18 calls for $1.65. Volume was more than 200 times open interest at the strike.
Owning calls locks in the price investors must pay to buy shares, so they can generate significant leverage if the stock continues to rally. If it drops or stalls, however, they will lose all or most of their value.Calpine's stock rose 2.39% to $18.03 Tuesday and is up 19% so far this year. The stock has been gradually working its way higher since the S&P 500 bottomed in March 2009 and as natural-gas generation takes market share from coal-fired plants. Earnings and revenue also beat analyst forecasts by a wide margin in the third quarter. Overall option volume was 14 times greater than average in the session, with call outnumbering puts by 6 to 1. Russell has no positions in CPN.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV