Americans Worry About Finances But Reject Financial Advice
In an analysis of TIAA-CREF clients, individuals receiving specific, personalized investment advice were 60 percent more likely to use it than those who received more generic financial guidance. Nichols notes of those that implemented this advice, half had increased their retirement fund contributions and they may have as much as $200,000 more in savings by retirement over the course of a 30-year career.
Although the analysis underscores the need for individualized financial advice, many Americans find it difficult to locate appropriate sources of information.
The following reasons were cited by the survey respondents on why finding appropriate information was difficult:
- Available information does not speak to my individual needs at this time: 46 percent
- Don't know where to start finding financial advice that is relevant to me: 48 percent
- It's hard to know where to start looking for financial advice: 51 percent
- Hard to know what sources or who can be trusted: 74 percent
Although the survey highlighted the difficulty in finding trusted sources of financial advice, it stopped short of suggesting where and how individuals could find appropriate financial information for their situation.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV