For the record, Google's (GOOG) Android models are the most widely used smartphones, with a 52% market share, followed by Apple's (AAPL) iPhones at 34%, in ComScore data for the three months ending Sept. 12.
While Android and Apple duke it out, another study tries to define who smartphone users are based on the phone they choose. The study, from iGRM, an Austin, Texas, online and mobile marketing strategy firm, talked to 1,001 U.S. consumers in September just as Apple was rolling out its iPhone 5, to find out such things as:
- What demographic variables, such as age, gender, income, educational level and marital status, differentiate the groups?
- What service providers do Apple and Android consumers use?
- How do they rate their service providers and why?
What both sides looked for from their smartphone experience and their providers was markedly different.Apple users were much more likely to judge their phones based on the quality of the audio and data network and how fast the network operated. Android customers were more focused on "business" aspects, including the quality of customer service, cost of service and "device selection." Also:
- Apple users are more likely to be female and married.
- Apple users have higher incomes and are more highly educated. iGR says more Apple consumers have incomes above $50,000 and a college degree.
- Apple users display more brand loyalty, with more Android users saying they were "undecided" about which smartphone they might buy next.
- Android users were also more likely to buy a smartphone in the near future.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV