NICB Says Some Towing Companies Gouging Sandy Victims
DES PLAINES, Ill., Nov. 6, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The National Insurance Crime Bureau (NICB) says it is receiving reports of price gouging by towing companies and impound lots in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy.
NICB member companies are already receiving bills with classic signs of price exploitation. For a tow that occurred on October 30, one towing company charged $2,150, which included a $1,250 "recovery" fee in addition to charges for towing, storage and administration.
NICB members report towing firms are hooking up vehicles without the owner's consent and telling the owners that all vehicles are being towed off the street, without any authorization from local authorities. Insurers also report that towing companies are going door to door soliciting business, telling people they will contact the insurance company and handle the expenses. One company even claimed that 50 percent of the charge will go to the American Red Cross.
"These charges are way out of line with reasonable fees and it's akin to someone charging $20 to $30 for a gallon of gas just to take advantage of the situation," said NICB President and CEO Joe Wehrle. "This kind of outrageous conduct is only adding to the misery and expense incurred by people who have already suffered far too much."Law enforcement agencies throughout the area have their hands full with life and death situations and, in most cases, they are not yet processing cars that have been flooded or abandoned following the storm. Before allowing anyone to tow their vehicle, owners should contact their insurance company for assistance with a reliable towing and storage firm so they are not stuck with a bill far above the reasonable charges set forth in their policy. Anyone who suspects they are being overcharged should contact the local authorities or call 1-800-TEL-NICB to report it."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV