After the close of the quarter, REG acquired a 15 million gallon-per-year capacity, multi-feedstock biorefinery in New Boston, Texas, near Texarkana. The company purchased the off-line refinery for 900,000 shares of common stock and $0.3 million cash. The acquisition will expand the company’s nameplate capacity to 227 million gallons per year, strengthening its leadership position within the industry. The company expects to commence production at New Boston within the first quarter of 2013.
Third Quarter 2012 Financial Results
Revenues for the third quarter were $322.9 million, representing a 25.9% increase over the third quarter of 2011. Revenue growth was driven by a 40% year-over-year increase in gallons sold, offset by a 22% decline in average selling price during the same time period. Average selling price declined mostly due to a sharp drop in RIN prices late in the quarter.
Gross profit for the quarter was 0.9%, which compares to 21.3% in the prior year period. Gross profit was impacted negatively by two factors: the accounting for risk management positions, and the severe decline in RIN prices late in the quarter. Biodiesel cost of goods sold includes an $18 million loss on risk management contracts. This was largely a function of timing and the result of large movements in heating oil and soybean oil price indices in late September as well as an adjustment of $8.2 million on RIN inventory to reflect the lower of cost or market as of September 30, 2012.Adjusted EBITDA, defined as earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization and further adjusted for certain items identified below under “Adjusted EBITDA Reconciliation”, declined 105% year–over-year to a loss of $2.3 million. REG generated cash flow from operations of $6.2 million in the quarter, a decline of 62% from the $16.0 million generated in the prior year period.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV