The Board of Directors of The Korea Fund, Inc. (the “Fund”) (NYSE: KF), today announced the continuation of the Fund’s share repurchase program under which the Fund will repurchase its common shares in the open market on any day that the Fund’s shares are trading at a discount of 8% or more from net asset value the prior day and there is a daily average discount of 8% or more from net asset value over the 5-day period ending the prior day. On each day that shares are repurchased, the Fund will repurchase its shares to the maximum extent permitted by law unless the Fund’s investment manager determines that such a repurchase would be detrimental to the Fund and its shareholders or the level of the Fund’s discount narrows to less than 8% due to market price fluctuation within the day. Therefore, on a day that shares are repurchased, the Fund will repurchase shares only at such times that the intra-day or closing market price represents a discount of 8% or more from the Fund’s closing net asset value on the prior day.
Under the program, the Fund is authorized to repurchase in each twelve month period ended October 31 up to 10% of its common shares outstanding as of October 31 the prior year. For example, for the year November 1, 2012 to October 31, 2013, the Fund may repurchase up to 10% of its common shares outstanding as of October 31, 2012.
The repurchase program is intended to enhance shareholder value, as repurchases made at a discount have the effect of increasing the net asset value per share of the Fund’s remaining shares.
There is no assurance that the market price of the Fund’s shares, either absolutely or relative to net asset value, will increase as a result of any share repurchases. These repurchases may be suspended at any time or from time to time without prior notice. The Fund’s repurchase activity will be disclosed in its shareholder reports for the relevant fiscal periods.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV