NEW YORK (
Gold for December delivery spiked around noon by $33 to $1,716.20 an ounce at the Comex division of the New York Mercantile Exchange. The
"If it's just gapped up then maybe people are thinking that Mr. Obama may win it," said Tim Harvey, senior vice president at ETF Securities U.S. "Maybe investors had been too aggressive in the selloff, and ... if Obama is reelected then we would expect more quantitative easing, Mr.
Romney previously has said he would remove Bernanke as the Federal Reserve chairman if he was elected president. Gold analysts have said removal of Bernanke would leave in doubt the Fed's open-ended, mortgage-backed security purchasing program that the central bank has used to promote monetary stimulus.Gold prices plummeted more than $40 an ounce on Friday as investors jumped to the sidelines. Monday brought more buying and a slight bump in the price of the yellow metal, but Tuesday's action reversed the losses from last week.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV