Out on a Limb: Romney Wins, 270 to 276 Electoral Votes
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Governor Mitt Romney will prevail today winning more than 50% of the popular vote and garnering at least 270 electoral votes.
Prior to Hurricane Sandy, things were moving Romney's way -- he was attracting larger and more enthusiastic crowds, and making inroads in states that by reasonable estimation a month ago should have easily fallen into the Obama column -- for example, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin.
Hurricane Sandy offered President Obama the opportunity to shine -- especially considering the pass the media provided with the less than inspiring federal and Democratic state responses along coastal areas in New Jersey and New York. However, that glow began to dim on Friday and Saturday, and in the closing days of the campaign polls focusing on "likely voters" show a swing back to Romney.
Romney crowds swelled, as interested voters stood on line to hear him speak, and he transitioned from a personality that was an alternative to those disappointed in President Obama to one that inspires confidence. Some men grow in office, Mitt Romney grew in the campaign.By my reckoning, Romney will win, in addition to the 191 electoral votes considered safe or leaning to Romney by Real Clear Politics, Florida, North Carolina, Ohio and Virginia plus either New Hampshire and/or Iowa for 270 to 276 electoral votes. Follow @PMorici1 This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV