Kimberly Clark (KMB) looks like it's topping right now. Yes, shares of the $32 billion paper product company have made some respectable returns this year, up more than 13% on top of a 3.6% dividend yield. But as they start losing momentum, KMB is starting to look toxic -- here's what you need to know.
Right now, Kimberly Clark is forming a pattern called a double top. As the name implies, it's formed by two tops that hit their head right around the same price level. The sell signal comes when shares drop through the trough that separates the two tops -- in KMB's case, that trough comes in right at $82. Shares have been consolidating above that $82 level for the last week or so, staging a bounce off of the line on their last test of it. Even so, the bounce looks weak, and shares are coming back down to look for buyers again. If KMB can't catch a bid on this attempt, I think we'll see a breakdown.
I mentioned that momentum has been waning for KMB. The 14-day RSI line (above the price chart) has actually been trending lower since early May, and it's only been accelerating more recently. Dropping RSI means that prices are increasing at a decreasing level -- and since momentum is a leading indicator of price, the downtrend adds some important confirmation that a drop is likely.Ultimately, price is the purest trading signal. A break below $82 means that there aren't enough buyers there anymore to counter selling pressure -- that's the short signal.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV