November 6, 2012
AuRico Gold Inc. (TSX:AUQ) (NYSE:AUQ)
, ("AuRico" or "the Company") today provided an update on its 2012 exploration program at the
mine, located in
. Drill results continue to demonstrate potential immediately to the west of the mine.
The Company currently has five diamond drills on surface exploring a number of target areas. Year to date, almost 29,000 metres have been completed, focusing primarily on two areas:
- The YD West Zone, which is located west of the Main Zone below the 9,500 metre level. This zone, first discovered in 2010, has been further defined to the west and at depth and remains open in both directions.
- The West Shirriff area, which is located immediately to the west of the YD West Zone (Figure 1). Results from this zone show anomalous gold of the same rock type and alteration type as the main zones that make up the Young- Davidson mine.
, AuRico's Vice President of Exploration commented "Results are in line with expectations and we are pleased that the drill program continues to demonstrate that mineralization extends well beyond the existing reserve. Additional work will be conducted to further test the continuity of the YD West Zone to the west and at depth. Preliminary information from the West Shirriff area provides encouragement for mineralization beyond YD West, approximately 1 kilometre from the mine."
The objective of the 2012 exploration program is to focus on continuing to better define the YD West Zone and to conduct follow-up drilling on additional targets.
YD West Zone:
11 of 14 planned holes have been completed, with the balance in progress. Seven holes successfully intersected the YD West horizon whereas four holes were dyked out at the target horizon. All seven intersections contained gold bearing intervals and six of these contained seven intervals that exceeded the cutoff grade of 1.1 g/t Au over a mineable width for classification as a resource. The following intervals also exceeded the cutoff grade of 1.7 g/t over a mineable width for classification as reserve:
- 16.9 metres grading 3.99 g/t Au (YD12-253),
- 66.8 metres grading 1.89 g/t Au, including 21 metres grading 2.5 g/t Au (YD12-253A)
- 9.9 metres grading 1.71 g/t Au (YD12-253C)
- 11.6 metres of 2.77 g/t Au (YD12-266)
One drill hole (YD12-266) intersected a gold zone about 55 metres further into the footwall than forecast in an altered brecciated syenite structural zone. This is a new style of gold mineralization on the property and the orientation of the structural zone is being investigated with new drilling.