It's a ginormous undertaking; I'm cautiously half-optimistic. But in the short term, a stimulus effect to the market is quite certain. This is pathetic in a way, as it's entirely based on expectation of government action and the belief in its power. But I try not to pass moral judgment on the market.
There are also numerous technical factors pointing to the same. Hot money has been flowing into Hong Kong in recent weeks, forcing the local government into a scramble to control the exchange rate. The only logical explanation is that speculative money has recently been posturing to enter mainland China. Hong Kong is but the quickest gateway.
While capital exodus by foreign investors seems to have stopped a couple of months ago, that by domestic riches also seems to have slowed down as the power transition comes to resolution. Anecdotal evidence suggests that domestic institutional money is getting excited about the pending changes. In short, capital flow is in the midst of a multi-month reversal.
This transformation could last for years if it works out. But that'd be speculative. Over the coming weeks and months, it seems fairly certain.At the time of publication the author was long FXI. This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV