Total segment revenues increased $183.4 million, or 151.3%, to $304.6 million for the third quarter of 2012 from $121.2 million for the third quarter of 2011, as a result of growth of $9.0 million in management fees, $25.5 million in incentive income and $148.9 million in investment income.
Management feesManagement fees increased $9.0 million, or 5.2%, to $182.6 million for the third quarter of 2012 from $173.6 million in the prior-year’s third quarter. The increase reflected $24.8 million in management fees from new commitments to closed-end funds and a decline of $18.6 million in fees attributable to closed-end funds in liquidation. Funds that accounted for the majority of the new capital commitments were Oaktree Opportunities Fund VIIIb, L.P. (“Opps VIIIb”) and EPF III. Of the funds in liquidation, Opps VIIb accounted for $8.9 million of the decline. During the third quarter of 2012, closed-end funds accounted for $140.1 million, or 76.7%, of total management fees. Incentive income Incentive income increased $25.5 million, or 75.7%, to $59.2 million for the third quarter of 2012, as compared with $33.7 million for the prior-year period. Of the $59.2 million, $26.6 million was attributable to realizations in our control investing funds. An additional $16.9 million of incentive income in the third quarter of 2012 was attributable to tax distributions, almost entirely from Opps VIIb. Investment income Investment income increased $148.9 million, to $62.8 million for the third quarter of 2012 from a loss of $86.1 million for the third quarter of 2011. The increase reflected a positive swing in the financial markets from their sharp decline during the third quarter of 2011. Of the current period’s $62.8 million of investment income, $55.6 million arose from investments in funds and $7.2 million from investments in companies.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV