CSC (NYSE: CSC) today reported second quarter 2013 diluted earnings of $0.83 per share, compared with diluted EPS of $(18.56) in the second quarter 2012 which included a goodwill impairment charge of $18.21 per share and a U.S. Claims settlement of $1.20 per share. Total revenues were $3.85 billion compared with $3.97 billion in the year ago period, a decrease of 3% as reported and a 1% decline in constant currency.
- Diluted EPS of $0.83 per share included a workforce restructuring charge of $58 million, or $0.25 per share.
- Operating income of $298 million was compared with an operating loss in the year ago period.
- Operating margin of 7.7% increased compared with -1.9% a year ago and 4.6% in the prior quarter. Excluding the impact of a $269 million U.S. Claims settlement in the prior year, operating margin improved by 289 basis points.
- Operating cash flow of $444 million for the quarter, improved by $438 million from the previous year.
- Free cash flow of $237 million for the quarter improved by $505 million compared to the previous year, as the result of better contract management, cost takeout, and the benefit of the NHS Interim Agreement.
- The company raised $700 million of senior unsecured notes and secured commitments for a new $250 million bank term loan. Funds from these financings were used to redeem maturing debt in October, 2012.
- Ending cash and cash equivalents were $1.85 billion.
“Our second quarter results reflect continued progress made on our contract management performance and cost takeout program. As a result, operating margins improved across all three lines of business when compared with the prior year and we are raising our fiscal year 2013 EPS targets to $2.30 to $2.50,” said Mike Lawrie, President and CEO. “During the quarter, we also strengthened our offering portfolio through the acquisition of a premiere software development company that specializes in big data, analytics and advanced applications. This action is consistent with our strategy of being a leader in next generation technology solutions and services. We are also taking steps to divest certain non-core assets such as a smaller business in Italy. There is much work to be completed but we are encouraged with the early results of our turnaround program.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV