Progress Software Corporation
(NASDAQ: PRGS), a global software company that simplifies and enables the development and deployment of business applications, today announced it’s offering a beta program of the
service. The new SaaS-based connection management service is a key step in the company’s mission to help organizations create, run and connect to the world’s best business applications. The cloud connectivity service enables simplified SQL access to a broad spectrum of cloud-based data sources through a single standards-based interface.
Cloud is reshaping the way organizations build and deploy software and enabling the next generation of ISVs and applications to be built in less time, at less cost, all the while increasing application scalability and resilience. With the acknowledged value of cloud, there’s been an explosion of new data sources in the cloud such as SaaS CRM, Social Network Feeds, and SaaS ERP. Organizations seeking to unlock the data in these sources need an easy way to connect to them. Point-to-point connectivity might be available through a proprietary web service, but creating unique access calls that conform to multiple APIs is unwieldy and complex. The multitude of different API’s as well as their various versions is making applications too complex to maintain.
Connectivity-as-a-Service provides standards-based SQL access to cloud data without requiring customized interfaces or new libraries to learn. It executes the SQL query against the appropriate cloud data source, managing all of the complexity, API’s, and versioning itself so that the application does not have to.
In summary, the DataDirect Cloud offering provides:
- A single ODBC and JDBC driver based on the DataDirect premium driver technology that plugs into almost any 3 rd party application suite (i.e., Business Intelligence, Enterprise Service Bus, Business Process Management Suites, Data Integration ETL, Java EE)
- Real-time SQL access to a broad spectrum of data sources through a connectivity management service that resides in the cloud
- Web based query development tools that allow interaction with SaaS data without any on-premise software required
- Elastic scalability suitable for the most demanding data access needs
- Specifically for ISVs, the ability to distribute the DataDirect Cloud OEM driver “in the box” and support a broad array of data sources that will be updated and expanded regularly without having to redeploy to on premise installations.
Delivery of the DataDirect Cloud connectivity management service is expected in the second quarter of 2013, with beta program access available for a limited number of participants beginning in January 2013. More information on how to get a jumpstart using this driver can be found at:
Progress Software is the industry’s leading comprehensive provider of software for connecting the world’s most critical business applications to data and services, running on any platform, using proven and emerging standards. Developers worldwide depend on
to connect their applications to an unparalleled range of data sources using standards-based interfaces such as ODBC, JDBC and ADO.NET, XQuery and SOAP. More than 300 leading independent software vendors and thousands of enterprises rely on Progress Software to simplify and streamline data connectivity for distributed systems and to reduce the complexity of mainframe integration.
“The success of cloud computing and SaaS based applications will depend in part on eliminating the “data silo” these applications create for their customers,” said Michael Benedict, vice president and business line manager, Progress DataDirect. “Our customers and partners have big ideas and we can help them to bring these ideas to light through greater access to data. With the DataDirect Cloud offering, we are delivering the final link to effectively integrate SaaS based applications with the common tools most organizations have in house today.”