MSCI Inc. (NYSE: MSCI), a leading global provider of investment decision support tools, including indices, portfolio risk and performance analytics and corporate governance services, today announced results for the third quarter and nine months ended September 30, 2012.
(Note: Percentage changes are referenced to the comparable period in 2011, unless otherwise noted.)
- Operating revenues increased 4.6% to $235.4 million in third quarter 2012 and 4.2% to $703.1 million for nine months 2012.
- Net income declined by 3.0% to $48.3 million in third quarter 2012. Net income grew 0.6% to $129.8 million for nine months 2012.
- Adjusted EBITDA (defined below) grew by 4.3% to $108.1 million in third quarter 2012 despite the impact of higher severance expenses. For nine months 2012, Adjusted EBITDA grew by 0.9% to $317.9 million. Third quarter 2012 Adjusted EBITDA margin declined slightly to 45.9% from 46.0% and nine months 2012 Adjusted EBITDA margin fell to 45.2% from 46.7%.
- Diluted EPS for third quarter 2012 fell 2.5% to $0.39 and nine months 2012 Diluted EPS was unchanged at $1.05.
- Third quarter 2012 Adjusted EPS (defined below) was unchanged at $0.49. Nine months 2012 Adjusted EPS rose 2.9% to $1.43.
Henry A. Fernandez, Chairman and CEO, said, “MSCI continued to grow its subscription revenues and run rate during the third quarter of 2012, despite volatile financial markets. I am especially pleased that our index and ESG run rate grew by 6% year-over-year, even after taking into account the impact of the Vanguard announcement. The growth of index and ESG run rate is an indication of the value that we provide to global investors. Our governance revenues grew by 4%, reflecting the recent positive momentum we are seeing in that business.
“We are confident in the long-term secular trends driving our growth and are focused on how we can best position MSCI to capture these opportunities,” added Mr. Fernandez.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV