QVC Italy continued the trend upward with a 16% sequential revenue growth in local currency over the second quarter of 2012. QVC Italy’s sales were primarily from the cooking and dining, beauty and apparel product categories.
On July 4, 2012, QVC entered into a joint venture with China Broadcasting Corporation, a limited liability company, owned by China National Radio (“CNR”) for a 49% interest in a CNR subsidiary, CNR Home Shopping Co., Ltd. (‘‘CNRS’’). CNRS had an 85% growth in revenue over the prior year third quarter. This joint venture is being accounted for as an equity method investment, and as a result, QVC reported a $3 million reduction in net income for the period.
QVC's outstanding bank and bond debt was $3.4 billion at September 30, 2012. The increase of $1.1 billion from June 30, 2012 was primarily associated with borrowings to fund the Liberty Ventures Group as part of the Liberty Interactive Group’s recapitalization of its common stock.
eCommerce BusinessesIn the aggregate, Liberty Interactive Group’s eCommerce businesses increased revenue 13% to $278 million for the third quarter. Adjusted OIBDA decreased 56% to $4 million for the quarter and operating income decreased to a loss of $56 million. All but one of our eCommerce businesses reported an increase in revenue for the quarter as a result of increased marketing efforts and increased conversion resulting from site optimization and broader inventory offerings. The decrease in adjusted OIBDA was the result of increased spending in paid search as a percentage of revenue, increased promotional activity to move seasonal inventory and lower advertising revenue due to pricing and a shift to mobile applications. The decrease in operating income was primarily due to an impairment of goodwill at Celebrate Interactive as a result of continued declining operating results and disappointing third quarter trends.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV