Office Depot, Inc. (NYSE: ODP), a leading global provider of office supplies and services, today announced results for the fiscal quarter ended September 29, 2012.
THIRD QUARTER RESULTS 1
Total Company sales for the third quarter of 2012 were approximately $2.7 billion, down 5% compared to the third quarter of 2011. On a constant currency basis, third quarter 2012 sales were down approximately 3% versus prior year.
The Company reported a net loss, after preferred stock dividends, of $70 million or $0.25 per diluted share in the third quarter of 2012, compared to net earnings, after preferred stock dividends, of $92 million or $0.28 per share in the third quarter of 2011.
- Third quarter 2012 results included approximately $8 million of charges primarily related to restructuring activities and actions to improve future operating performance, and approximately $88 million related to non-cash asset impairment charges with $73 million recognized in the North American Retail Division and $15 million recognized in the International Division.
- Excluding the restructuring and impairment charges (after tax), third quarter 2012 net earnings, after preferred stock dividends, would have been approximately $18 million or $0.06 per share.
- Third quarter 2011 results included approximately $6 million of charges primarily related to restructuring activities and other costs intended to improve efficiency and benefit operations in future periods, as well as a benefit from the reversal of approximately $99 million of combined tax and interest accruals for uncertain tax positions. Excluding these charges and the benefit from the reversal of accruals, the Company would have had a net loss, after preferred stock dividends, of about $700 thousand or zero cents per share in the third quarter of 2011.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV