MORRISTOWN, N.J., Nov. 5, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Jersey Central Power & Light (JCP&L) has restored power to more than 800,000 of the 1.2 million JCP&L customers affected by Hurricane Sandy.
About 330,000 of the utility's customers remain without power, most of whom live in Morris, Monmouth and Ocean counties.
The vast majority of customers will be restored by Wednesday, November 7. Customers in harder-hit areas, including those in damaged rural areas or near the shore, can expect to be restored throughout the following week. In some areas where roads, infrastructure, homes and businesses were destroyed, restoration is currently impossible. This includes many communities on the barrier islands of Monmouth and Ocean counties.
Restoring power to customers is being handled by more than 8,200 professionals, including 3,800 linemen and 1,500 forestry workers. An additional 260 linemen are arriving today to assist JCP&L's restoration effort. JCP&L has received crews from as far away as Canada, California, Washington state and Florida."We continue to accept crews from all over the country and we are putting them to work as fast as they can get here. This is one of the worst storms in New Jersey's history and crews are working around the clock to clear roads, replace downed poles and wires, and restore service," said Don Lynch, President of JCP&L. "Nearly every JCP&L customer has been affected by this storm and we understand their concern and frustration. We continue to work with state and federal agencies to make sure we have all the resources necessary to restore power to our customers." Since the storm began, JCP&L crews have restored high-voltage transmission connections to substations and are working to complete 34.5 kilovolt connections, which bring high voltage to the local neighborhood system. More JCP&L crews are transitioning to repair local lines.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV