For the third quarter of 2012, cost of product sales, including eBioscience, was $34.0 million, as compared to $24.6 million in the same period of 2011. Product gross margin was 53%, as compared to 57% in the same period of 2011, the decrease is due primarily to the amortization of the step-up in inventory fair value of $4.5 million. Excluding the inventory step-up amortization, product gross margin for the third quarter of 2012 was 57%. Cost of services and other was $4.0 million compared to $3.0 million in the same period of 2011.
For the third quarter of 2012, operating expenses were $52.8 million, including acquisition- and integration-related non-recurring costs of $1.9 million, and recurring amortization of acquired intangible assets of $3.4 million and eBioscience operating expense of approximately $7.5 million. This compared to operating expenses of $42.2 million in the same period of 2011.
“For the third quarter of 2012 we’ve continued to make steady progress in stabilizing our business. On a constant currency basis, our revenue excluding eBioscience for the third quarter of 2012 was down by about 2% as compared to the same period in the previous year,” said Frank Witney, president and CEO. “In the third quarter of 2012, we generated revenue growth of more than 16% as compared to the third quarter of 2011 in our Genetic Analysis business, which was offset by continued headwinds in our Gene Expression unit. With the addition of eBioscience, we have further diversified our revenues and added important capabilities to provide customers in translational medicine and clinical diagnostics with a comprehensive set of tools to improve healthcare outcomes.”
Third quarter highlights:
- The Company signed a Powered by Affymetrix (PbA) agreement with PathGEN Dx Pte. Ltd., a spin-off molecular diagnostics company founded by researchers from the Genome Institute of Singapore. Under this PbA agreement, PathGEN Dx will develop an in-vitro diagnostic kit for comprehensive pathogen detection using their PathGEN® PathChip and is based on a patented, efficient, and accurate microarray-based protocol and analysis method. The kit will be comprised of PathGEN Dx’s proprietary reagents, an automated software package, and a contract manufactured GeneChip® microarray from Affymetrix. It will detect the presence of more than 70,000 viral and bacterial genomes from a wide variety of human samples, annotate the genomic information, and identify co-infecting pathogens.
- The Company announced the availability of SensationPlus™ FFPE Amplification and 3’ IVT Labeling Kit (SensationPlus™ FFPE Reagent Kit), consisting of RNA amplification and labeling modules, to enable gene expression profiling of formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded (FFPE) samples on GeneChip 3’ IVT arrays and Almac Xcel™ Array for disease clinical research and retrospective studies. SensationPlus TM FFPE Reagent Kit is an advanced version of the Genisphere® technology Affymetrix licensed last year.
- The Company announced the expansion of its license agreement with Siemens Healthcare Diagnostics for the company’s branched DNA (bDNA) technology whereby Affymetrix is the exclusive licensee for in situ products, including in vitro diagnostics. This expanded license grants Affymetrix rights to develop and sell in situ QuantiGene® ViewRNA products, currently for research use only, in the in vitro diagnostic market. Additionally, this license includes exclusive rights to alkaline phosphatase conjugated oligonucleotides and their use in bDNA methods for in situ detection utilizing Fast Red substrates.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts