Discussion of Third Quarter Results
Consolidated revenue totaled $211.2 million, a 38% increase from $152.5 million in the third quarter of 2011. In particular:
- Carrier Services revenue totaled $125.2 million, a 10% increase from $114.2 million in 2011. This increase was due to an $11.1 million increase in NPAC Services revenue;
- Enterprise Services revenue totaled $43.6 million, a 14% increase from $38.3 million in 2011. This increase was due to higher revenue in both Internet Infrastructure and Registry Services; and
- Information Services contributed $42.3 million of revenue in the third quarter of 2012. This business segment was created as a result of the TARGUSinfo acquisition completed in the fourth quarter of 2011. Revenue from Information Services was comprised of $24.2 million in Identification Services, $13.1 million in Verification & Analytics Services, and $5.0 million in Local Search & Licensed Data Services.
Total operating expense increased 45% to $136.5 million from $94.4 million in the third quarter of 2011. This $42.1 million increase was driven by the addition of $31.4 million in operating expense from the acquisition of our Information Services business segment. The remaining $10.7 million increase represents growth of 11% in the company’s operating expense. In particular, personnel and personnel-related expense increased $8.9 million due to increased headcount in technology and operations, research and development, and sales and marketing.
For the third quarter of 2012, adjusted net income totaled $60.7 million, including the impact of discrete tax benefits primarily associated with a domestic production activities deduction. Excluding the impact of these discrete tax benefits, our effective tax rate was approximately 38.8%.Cash, cash equivalents and investments totaled $269.2 million as of September 30, 2012, compared to $235.0 million as of June 30, 2012 and $135.3 million as of December 31, 2011. In the third quarter of 2012, the company purchased approximately 688,000 shares of common stock at an average price of $36.34 per share, for a total purchase price of $25.0 million.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV