NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- The nation's largest trust banks were the winners among large-cap financial firms on Monday.
Shares of State Street of Boston (STT) rose 3% to close at $45.93, while Bank of New York Mellon (BK) was up over 2% to close at $25.11, and Northern Trust (NTRS) of Chicago saw its shares rise nearly 2%, to close at $48.61.
Dow Jones Industrial Average
Bianco said that following the election, "investor focus will almost immediately turn to legislation to resolve the fiscal cliff and the balance between tax hikes and spending cuts," and predicted that "legislation during the Nov-Dec Congress session that mostly preserves existing tax rates could put the S&P over 1500."The KBW Bank Index (I:BKX) was down slightly to close at 49.95, with 14 of the 24 index components showing declines. Jefferies analyst Ken Usdin stuck with his even tone for trust banks as a group on Monday, saying in a report that "one month into 4Q, proxies continue to suggest a mixed revenue picture, with positive equity
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV