Election and Housing: Is Your Home's Value Better Off?
By Diana Olick, CNBC Correspondent
NEW YORK ( CNBC) - Are we better off today than we were four years ago? That is the constant question on the eve of yet another tight presidential race. From the perspective of home prices, the answer is, as always, it depends on where you live. Some cities are faring far better than others, and some believe that home prices are not entirely finished correcting.
According to the widely watched S&P/Case Shiller Home Price Indices, home values in the nation's ten largest cities were down 2.4% from January 2009 through August 2012 seasonally adjusted. For the top twenty cities, they are down 3.7% seasonally adjusted.
These two composites, however, are still both off nearly 30% from the peaks in the summer of 2006.Remember, also, that we saw a bump in home prices in 2010 from the Obama administration's home buyer tax credit. Home prices on the 20-city composite were up 1.5% in August 2010, not seasonally adjusted, from January 2009, but then of course they dropped again, and we are still, today, below that level of the tax credit surge.
| More from CNBC
Is Disney's Animation Back on Track?
How to Fix the Gas Shortage: Let 'em Gouge
Obama Leading Romney in Craft Beer 'Alection'
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV