At times, this required -- no kidding -- a fully running back-up generator, which I'm lucky to own. But of course, gas is so dear these days it's simply nuts to run a 5,400-watt generator to power a 20-watt data line.
Sometimes that left the grim choice of accessing the Web via a cell modem or phone, which varied heavily by carrier and conditions. Overall, Verizon cell service was reasonable for making calls, but not for data access. AT&T provided reasonable data, but email was not reliable. Sprint offered solid data service, but the Web and phone calls struggled.
The only truly reliable digital communication solution? Low-tech text messaging.
The no-margin Internet
We were lucky. It all worked. Emails got sent. Stories got filed. And we are still in business. But it took far too much time, and I already feel the margin pinch this month. And with that pain, my contempt for managers at Web giants such as Google, Facebook or Amazon has softened.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV