MENLO PARK, Calif., Nov. 5, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Although companies continue to increase their investments in and dependency on IT resources, many aren't doing enough to protect themselves, according to a new survey from global consulting firm Protiviti ( www.protiviti.com). The firm's 2012 IT Audit Benchmarking Survey ( www.protiviti.com/ITauditsurvey) ‑ which also reveals the top 10 technology challenges businesses face ‑ finds that a significant number of organizations do not conduct any type of IT audit risk assessment, and a considerable number of companies that do conduct assessments have critical gaps in their IT audit capabilities.
Protiviti's second edition of the IT Audit Benchmarking Survey analyzes some of the underlying IT audit trends and gaps evident in organizations today. In addition to data and analysis, the survey report also includes key questions for audit professionals to consider as they evaluate their own IT audit functions and capabilities.
"There's no question that IT risks can affect the bottom line. To succeed in today's business environment, it's absolutely critical for organizations to understand and manage IT risks that emerge with the rapidly escalating use of technology, and the best way to do that is with well-planned IT audit strategies and activities," said Brian Christensen, Protiviti's executive vice president of global internal audit. "We hope our survey results drive organizations to cast a more critical eye on their own IT audit strategy ‑ whether that means establishing a function or cultivating their IT audit team's experience and capabilities."The Top 10 Technology Challenges The IT Audit Benchmarking Survey asked participants to weigh-in – through an open-ended question that required a write-in response – on the top technology challenges that organizations face today. The top issues from the perspective of IT audit, including information security, cloud computing, social media, and risk management and governance, are consistent with those commonly cited by C-level executives and IT organizations.
- Information security (including data privacy, storage, and management)
- Cloud computing
- Social media
- Risk management and governance
- Regulatory compliance
- Technology integration and upgradation
- Resource management
- Infrastructure management
- Fraud monitoring
- Business continuity/disaster recovery
- Sixty-five percent of organizations conduct their IT audit risk assessments on an annual basis, which may not be adequate to keep pace with the current rate of technology change and innovation.
- Evaluating and assessing the IT governance process, as called for under The Institute of Internal Auditors Standard 2110.A2, is not a priority for organizations, regardless of size or region. On average, less than 30 percent of companies have complied with this standard, and less than one in three plans to do so within the next year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV