Morgan Stanley's shares closed at $17.78 Friday, returning 19% year-to-date, following a 44% decline during 2011.
The shares trade for just 0.6 times their reported Sept. 30 tangible book value of $30.53, and for nine times the consensus 2013 EPS estimate of $2.02, among analysts polled by Thomson Reuters.
Hawken has a neutral rating on Morgan Stanley, with a $19 price target, and said that his price target "assumes MS will trade at 0.6x our 2Q13 TBV estimate in 12 months (vs. its 10-yr avg. of 1.6x)." The analyst said that "MS needs to drive improved capital efficiency and returns in FICC before it is likely to generate a higher multiple from current levels," and that "until we see more on this front, we believe MS appears fairly valued."
Morgan Stanley on Monday announced that Paul Taubman, currently the company's co-president of Institutional Securities, would retire at the end of the year, and that Colm Kelleher the other co-president of Institutional Securities, would take over as sole head of the division in January.The company also announced "the appointment of Mark Eichorn and Franck Petitgas as Global Co-Heads of Investment Banking with day-to-day responsibility globally for client coverage, M&A and capital markets," with both reporting to Kelleher. MS data by YCharts
Interested in more on Morgan Stanley? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock.
Email. Follow @PhilipvanDoorn
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV