With that in mind, here's a look at several stocks that could experience big short squeezes when they report earnings this week.
My first earnings short-squeeze trade idea is BroadSoft (BSFT), which is set to release numbers on Monday after the market close. This company is a global provider of software that enables fixed-line, mobile and cable service providers to deliver voice and multimedia services over their Internet protocol-based, or IP-based, networks. Wall Street analysts, on average, expect BroadSoft to report revenue of $41.53 million on earnings of 32 cents per share.
This stock has been trending strongly so far in 2012, with shares up over 20%. Just recently, Oppenheimer upgraded this stock from perform to outperform and changed its price target to $44 per share.From a technical perspective, BSFT is currently trading above its 200-day moving average and just below its 50-day moving average, which is neutral trendwise. This stock has been trending sideways for the last three months, with shares moving between $34.42 on the downside and $42.96 on the upside. A move outside of that range post-earnings will likely set up the next major trend for BSFT If you're bullish on BSFT, then I would wait until after its report and look for long-biased trades once it manages to break out above some near-term overhead resistance levels at $39.59 to $42.96 a share with high volume. Look for volume on that move that hits near or above its three-month average action of 718,819 shares. If we get that breakout, then look for BSFT to re-test or possibly take out its next major overhead resistance levels at $47.44 to $55.45 a share.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV