St. Jude Medical, Inc. (NYSE:STJ), a global medical device company, today announced that the company’s EnligHTN™ renal denervation system provided a safe, effective and sustained reduction in office and ambulatory blood pressure measurements at six months. The new data was released in the Clinical Science and Special Reports Session during the annual American Heart Association (AHA) meeting.
Renal denervation is a minimally invasive approach for the treatment of patients with drug-resistant hypertension. It is a specialized ablation procedure that targets nerves in the renal arteries leading to the kidneys that has been clinically proven to reduce blood pressure. A typical normal blood pressure is below 120 systolic (the first number) and 80 diastolic (the second number) and is expressed as 120 / 80 mmHg. Hypertension, or high blood pressure, is a blood pressure greater than 140 / 90 mmHg. The risk of cardiovascular death is cut in half with every 20 mmHg decrease in systolic blood pressure.
Patients enrolled in the EnligHTN I study had an average blood pressure of 176 / 96 mmHg despite being treated with multiple medications to manage this condition. Those treated with the EnligHTN renal denervation system experienced an average rapid systolic blood pressure reduction of 28 mmHg points after 30 days.
At six months:
- An average systolic blood pressure reduction of 26 mmHg points was maintained
- 76 percent of patients responded to the therapy and had an average office blood pressure of 150 / 86 mmHg
- There were no serious acute device- or therapy-specific adverse events reported
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV