MEMPHIS, Tenn., Nov. 5, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- International Paper (NYSE: IP) announced today that it will donate over 8,100 acres of land, which includes the Bussey Brake and Wham Brake reservoirs, to the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries (LDWF). The total donation is valued at over $7.8 million. The fresh water reservoirs located near Bastrop, Louisiana in Morehouse Parish are popular recreational sites.
"This donation by International Paper will preserve these reservoirs for future generations to come for the citizens of Louisiana," said Tommy Joseph, International Paper Senior Vice President. "We are excited to be able to make this announcement today."
"Preserving fish and game habitat for public use is a key component in the department's conservation mission," said LDWF Secretary Robert Barham. "IP's generous donation falls right in line with our public access initiatives."Bussey Brake, a 2,600-acre fresh water reservoir, was constructed in the mid 1950's by International Paper to serve as an alternative water source for the Louisiana Mill. International Paper owned 620 acres of the reservoir site with the remaining balance under leases with third parties. Under terms of the donation, the leases will be transferred to LDWF. LDWF plans for Bussey Brake include a complete renovation of the reservoir's fish population. The impoundment will be drained and allowed to dry completely. The current fish population will be removed and the reservoir stocked with popular game fish including bass, bream, catfish and crappie. Once re-stocked, the reservoir will be monitored and managed with recreational fisheries a priority. The renovation process will take three to five years to achieve success and the resulting fish population, once established, would self-sustain as healthy fisheries for several decades.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV