Avnet, Inc. (NYSE: AVT), a leading global technology distributor, was recognized for the fourth year in a row on Newsweek’s Green Rankings list. Avnet placed No. 139 overall, moving up six spots from 2011 and 82 spots from 2010 on the annual ranking, which compares the largest publically traded companies in the U.S. on environmental performance. Newsweek rankings are based on a company’s environmental footprint, corporate management and transparency.
“Now more than ever, our stakeholders around the world are placing a higher value on how we impact the environment,” said Bob Gracz, Avnet’s vice president of Corporate Real Estate. “Reducing Avnet’s carbon footprint and overall energy use has been an important objective in how we manage all our facilities. Each year we continue to build upon our efforts in becoming a more sustainable company not simply because it’s good for business, but because it’s the right thing to do.”
Avnet has begun preparations to participate in the Global Reporting Initiative’s sustainability reporting process, which is widely used by companies around the world as a way to report sustainability information in a way that is similar to financial reporting. Involvement in this global initiative represents an opportunity to aid in benchmarking progress with elements of external reporting accountability.
Avnet’s 2012 global Carbon Footprint Analysis, which was conducted by German consulting firm DFGE, measured the amount of greenhouse gases Avnet emits directly or indirectly in day-to-day business activities. The results showed a 10 percent year-over-year improvement in overall carbon emissions as measured against revenue over the same period.Avnet has taken numerous steps to reduce its impact on the environment. Some examples include:
- Occupying or updating buildings and warehouses with more sustainable designs.
- Modernizing locations to meet strict environmental standards such as LEED and ISO 14001.
- Implementation of a wide variety of both innovative and practical projects that have improved the power efficiency of Avnet's data center operations. These projects included a new data storage management system, virtualization, a system hibernation script, green lighting, and physical improvements. As a direct result, Avnet has saved millions of dollars and avoided a multi-million dollar power build out to its Americas data center.
- Enhancing recycling efforts at all facilities and the adoption of more environmentally-friendly packaging materials.
- Using more energy-efficient lighting, which has saved Avnet’s Chandler, Ariz., component distribution center 3.8 million kilowatt hours per year, equating to more than $260,000 in energy savings.
- Enabling employees to work remotely, significantly reducing the amount of carbon released for those commuting to work and reducing the amount of office space required.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts