FedEx Corp. (NYSE: FDX) today announced an expansion and enhancement of its SenseAware SM service, providing customers with broader international availability and the ability to use the service with carriers outside the FedEx network. The release of the next generation of the SenseAware device, SenseAware 2000, offers customers more accurate near real-time location information, improved cellular connectivity and longer battery life.
FedEx Expands SenseAware(SM) Availability to International Markets; Adds New Capabilities to Provide Customers with Greater Flexibility and Reach. (Photo: Business Wire)
These enhancements give the service greater reach and provide customers richer, more customizable information for monitoring critical and high value shipments and inventory.
“SenseAware is all about information, and the innovative service increases visibility, allowing customers to make better and more timely decisions,” said Carl Asmus, vice president of market development for FedEx. “Our customers now have more actionable intelligence at their fingertips to make informed decisions and identify opportunities to improve their global supply chain, a tremendous value for any business.”
SenseAware service expands to international marketsInitially available for shipments only in the U.S., SenseAware can now help customers monitor shipments and inventory in Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia and Singapore. SenseAware is also targeting further international expansion. “SenseAware provides unmatched visibility and insight into global shipments, which is especially important in this increasingly complex global business environment,” Asmus said. “Our international expansion program is allowing us to better serve our customers by providing access to markets where our customers have a need to monitor their supply chain.” SenseAware is now carrier neutral The SenseAware service is now available on a growing list of air and ground transportation carriers, delivering more transportation options to customers in order to better fit their specific needs and still benefit from the peace of mind and quality assurance provided by SenseAware. Beyond the FedEx network, the service is now available on the following carriers:
- Delta Air Lines (including Delta Connection Carriers)
- Southwest Airlines
- United Airlines mainline jets
- Third party ground carriers (when used consistently with their rules and regulations)
- Private fleets
- SenseAware 2000: The new device offers customers improved benefits over the original SenseAware 1000 device first offered in November 2009. These include increased battery life, improved GPS technology, and better cellular connectivity.
- Accessories: SenseAware 2000 device is designed to support a temperature probe which has a temperature measurement range of -80°C to 60°C (-112°F to 140°F).
- Route Geo-fences: Customers can now create a geo-fence along the actual route a shipment should follow and set up alerts to notify the customer if the shipment deviates from this pre-established route. This feature is available on ground shipments.
- Environmental Data Specification: When setting up a journey or creating a template, customers can now choose which environmental data, such as temperature, humidity or barometric pressure, is collected. This ensures that the device only collects data for specific environments requested, thus streamlining the amount of information the customer receives.
- Nonevent Geo-fence Triggers: Triggers can be set up to alert or notify customers when geo-fence events do not occur as expected by a specified time. This helps customers determine if a package has gotten off pace or off track.
- Current location of the shipments (when traveling on the ground)
- Accurate temperature, relative humidity, and barometric pressure readings
- Alerts or notifications when a shipment’s contents have been exposed to light