Without further ado, here's a look at this week's Rocket Stocks.
2012 has been a great year for Visa (V) -- shares of the $116 billion payment network have rallied more than 41% so far this year, easily besting the broad market's double-digit rally. Visa's payment network is the standard bearer in the industry, its logo appearing on more than 60% of the world's credit and debit cards. That's afforded the firm a comfortable cushion over rivals like MasterCard (MA) without the credit risk seen at other rivals like American Express (AXP).
Visa doesn't carry any credit risk because it doesn't make loans. Instead, its partner banks do the lending, leaving Visa to collect a discount fee off the top of every purchase made over its network. Because the Visa brand is ubiquitous, merchants effectively have no choice but to accept it -- and because Visa is accepted universally, it's exceptionally popular with newly issued cards. That positive feedback loop should keep the brand strong even as competition ramps up for consumers' spending volume.Let's be clear: For all of its positive attributes, Visa isn't cheap. This stock's earnings multiple is enormous right now, and investors know it. That said, momentum is on the company's side as we approach the end of the year. With growth in global electronic payments lifting the fortunes of all the players in this industry, Visa's momentum isn't likely to slow as we reach year-end.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV