(Corrects article from 10:34 a.m. ET today regarding information on company square footage and years of paying a dividend.)
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- With little new construction in the pipeline, the decline in retail vacancies can now appropriately be called a trend towards recovery.
Rent growth has been measured, but at least follows a positive trajectory as well. While the worst may now be over for retail properties, risks remain given the fragile state of the economy as a whole.
Still, there is reason to celebrate having moved past what could well be the worst downturn for retail real estate in at least three decades.Many retail real estate investment trusts have already announced third-quarter earnings, with more to follow and thus far, most have reported falling vacancies and growing rents. In the shopping center sector there are 18 REITs with a combined market capitalization of $41.5 billion (as of Sept. 28) with an average dividend yield of 3.55% and the year-to-date (as of Sept. 28) total return is 24.65%.
Federal Realty: The Gold StandardIn REIT investing, the "gold standard" is measured by dividends -- not just the quantity (highest yield) but the quality. Mortgage REITs are distinguished by higher yielding dividends known for their volatility and higher risk composition; conversely, the quality of the dividend is often diluted by higher leverage (borrowing money to magnify returns) that leads to high volatility and uncertainty. Many mortgage REITs, including Annaly Capital Management (NLY), Chimera Investments (CIM), American Capital Agency (AGNC) and Armour Residential REIT (ARR) are connected to debt-laden deals with bumpier dividend performance.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV