At the sector level utilities is the largest at 33% of the fund, followed by industrials at 23%, materials and telecom at 13% each and 11% in financials. The fund pays a dividend once a year in December and last year the yield was 4.77%. That should not be a surprise given the heavy weighting to utilities and the typically high dividends paid out by Brazilian companies.
Zooming out a little past the near-term needs of the World Cup and the Olympics, the country is going to continue to sell more resources to the rest of the world. The quantities may vary based on where Brazil's customers are in their respective economic cycles but demand for resources will not go to zero.
If this leads to a more prosperous economy and middle class, as I believe it will, then it also means more access to modern utilities, shopping malls and roads. BRXX is positioned to capture that growth.
At the time of publication, VALE was a client holding.This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV