“Our third-quarter results demonstrate that the issues which surfaced in the second quarter have stabilized,” said Bruce D. Broussard, President of Humana. “We believe our improving operations and continued Medicare membership growth, together with our integrated care delivery system investments, position Humana well for a dynamic future.”
Chief Executive Officer Transition
As disclosed in November 2011, Michael B. McCallister, Humana’s Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, plans to retire as the company’s Chief Executive Officer. The company’s Board of Directors has appointed Bruce D. Broussard, the company’s President since December 2011, to become President and Chief Executive Officer effective January 1, 2013, completing the company’s year-long transition plan for the CEO position. At that time, Mr. Broussard will also join the company’s Board of Directors and Mr. McCallister will become non-executive Chairman of the Board of Directors.
“Long-term, we believe the company is poised for further growth under the leadership of our incoming CEO, Bruce Broussard,” said McCallister. “Bruce’s focus, energy, and effectiveness have been amply displayed in his tenure as Humana’s president.”Strategic Transactions Humana announced the following transactions today, each a strategic step in the company’s continued development of an integrated care delivery model.
- Metropolitan Health Networks, Inc. (NYSE: MDF) – The company announced that it has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire Metropolitan Health Networks, Inc. (Metropolitan), a Medical Services Organization (MSO) that coordinates medical care for Medicare Advantage and Medicaid beneficiaries primarily in Florida. Under the terms of the agreement, Humana will pay $11.25 per share in cash to acquire all of the outstanding shares of Metropolitan and repay all outstanding debt for an estimated transaction value of approximately $850 million plus transaction costs. The transaction is subject to Metropolitan shareholder approval as well as expiration of the Hart-Scott-Rodino anti-trust waiting period and is expected to close by the end of the first quarter of 2013. Humana expects to finance this transaction with a combination of cash and debt.
- MCCI Holdings, L.L.C. – The company has acquired a non-controlling equity interest in MCCI Holdings, L.L.C. (MCCI), an MSO headquartered in Miami, Florida that coordinates medical care for Medicare Advantage and Medicaid beneficiaries primarily in Florida and Texas. Terms of the transaction were not disclosed.
- Certify Data Systems – The company has acquired Certify Data Systems (Certify), a pioneer in health information exchange (HIE) technology. Certify’s HealthLogix TM solution provides two-way sharing of clinical information across disparate electronic health-record systems, connecting healthcare providers and allowing them to share relevant patient health information in real-time. Terms of the transaction were not disclosed.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV