Apple contender: iPad Mini ($329)
Alternative: Google Nexus 7 ($199)
It's not often the competition makes Apple move first, but how else do you explain the Nexus 7 beating the iPad Mini to the market by about six months?
The Nexus 7 is almost an inch smaller than the iPad Mini at 7 inches, costs less than its competitor and was brought on stage by Apple for the iPad Mini unveiling for a sorority-pledge-week-style teardown. Granted, it doesn't have Apple's Retina screen, but it has a fantastic HD display that lends itself well to games and movies thanks to a quad-core Tegra 3 processor that delivers fast performance and a beautiful and responsive screen.
It's been getting some early competition from the $160 Amazon (AMZN) Kindle Fire HD, but the Amazon mini tablet gives buyers a bit more size and bulk than the Nexus 7. Google's also given its tablet a fighting chance by adding TV shows and purchasable movies are welcome to Google Play to compete with Amazon Prime and iTunes offerings.The iPad Mini is a formidable foe, but the Nexus 7's lightweight design and low price are going to be tough to beat in very large, frugal corners of the market.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV