Prop 33 Hurts Consumers - 40 Newspaper Editorials Say Vote NO
SACRAMENTO, Nov. 4, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Forty newspaper editorial boards oppose Proposition 33, an auto insurance rate hike proposal funded by billionaire George Joseph, owner of Mercury Insurance.
Editorial pages decry Prop 33 as an abuse of the ballot by a billionaire to benefit his company at the expense of millions of consumers. They warn that Proposition 33's premium rate increases would make insurance less affordable, resulting in more uninsured motorists on our roads.
George Joseph has spent $17 million on Prop 33. Two years ago, voters rejected a nearly identical Mercury Insurance-funded measure. Editorial pages urge readers to send a loud message that "no" means "no" by defeating Prop 33 in a landslide. A sample of No on Prop 33 editorials:
Sacramento Bee: "Prop 33 is an old jalopy with a new coat of paint."San Diego Union Tribune: "No on Prop 33 – it's just not fair." Los Angeles Times: "Raising the cost of coverage for those without insurance doesn't help anyone on California's roads. Voters should reject Proposition 33." San Jose Mercury News: " California voters should vote no on Proposition 33 on Nov. 6 in such large numbers that Joseph never tries to dupe Golden State residents again." San Francisco Chronicle: " California's compelling public-policy interest is to make sure that drivers are insured. Keeping rates affordable advances that goal. Vote no on 33." Bakersfield Californian: "State's drivers don't need Prop 33." Stockton Record: "Don't let Prop 33 fool you." Santa Rosa Press Democrat: "No on 33. This retread is no bargain." Riverside Press Enterprise: "a retread of a special-interest measure voters rejected two years ago. The new version deserves the same fate; voters should just say no to Prop. 33."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV