Finally, there's the risk that goes with a clinical trial. Investors may perceive the risks with Sunshine Heart higher because C-Pulse is a new and relatively unproven method to treat heart failure. The company must also convince the cardiology community that the C-Pulse system is a new paradigm treatment for later-stage heart failure.
Under new Medicare regulations, hospitals are penalized for heart failure and heart attack patients who are re-admitted within 30 days of discharge. By the time C-Pulse potentially gets approved, hospitals will be under pressure to find new procedures to make sure their heart failure patients are getting the best therapy. C-Pulse could become a major part of the solution hospital need.
There is massive upside in Sunshine Heart if the C-Pulse pivotal trials are successful in showing clear advantage over current therapy for Class III and ambulatory Class IV heart failure patients. Even factoring in a highly dilutive stock offering in a year or so, the Sunshine Heart's shares are still absurdly cheap. Despite the lack of near-term catalysts, I'm comfortable buying the stock today and wait the time necessary for the stock to turn into a big winner.
Rosenblum is long Sunshine Heart.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV