New Oil Workers Key Bloc In ND Senate Race
"We have focused on what we think is a critical thing for the country, and that is to pursue domestic energy supplies..." said Shane Goettle, an alliance official and former aide to Republican Sen. John Hoeven. "I think they can well be motivated to show up."
It's unclear how many new workers will vote.
Patty Caldwell, who started cleaning trailer houses at North Dakota oil well drilling sites more than a year ago to stave off foreclosure of her home in Oregon, said she wanted to make her voice heard.
"I just figured that I'm part of this community now," said Caldwell, whose company is in New Hradec, a hamlet about 10 miles north of Dickinson. "I have friends here. There's issues that I'm concerned about."Monty Leonard, who drives a truck for a company that hauls water for the oil industry, came here from Oklahoma two years ago. He is casting his first vote in North Dakota. Leonard said he has been following the presidential campaign, but is not familiar with the North Dakota candidates. "I haven't been here very long, so I don't know the people," Leonard said of the candidates. The potential magnitude of the oilfield vote â¿¿ if it votes â¿¿ is clearly visible. Across the area, rows of temporary trailers are plunked in the middle of brown, treeless pastures, while smoke-belching earth movers prepare space for new housing developments and business construction. This year, as many as 4,300 new voters have been added to a state voter database in the nine largest oil-producing counties. That's more people than live in 26 of North Dakota's 53 counties, and a significant number in a state where 160,000 votes could elect either Berg or Heitkamp in their closely fought race. Almost 533,000 North Dakotans are eligible to vote, a 7 percent increase since the last presidential election, the state Commerce Department says.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV