Poll: Virginia Young Adults Stung By High Gas Prices, Favor Increased Production Of Coal, Gas, And Oil
Virginia Millennials rank energy dependency among top three national security issues as Presidential Election nears
WASHINGTON, Nov. 4, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Generation Opportunity today released additional results from their comprehensive Virginia-specific survey of young adults ages 18-29. The poll found that 66% of Virginia Millennials would increase production of domestic American energy sources like oil, natural gas, and coal. Only 35% indicated their approval of President Obama's handling of gas prices and 48% indicated they have to spend more to go to work because of increasing gas prices. The poll also found that 78% of young Virginians plan to vote in the presidential election and only 30% think the country is headed in the right direction. Generation Opportunity has over 100,000 followers across the Commonwealth of Virginia and uses a combined strategy of social media and grassroots tactics to encourage young adults to vote. The organization has over 4 million fans on Facebook and direct grassroots engagement with over a quarter million young Americans in key states including Ohio, Maine, New Hampshire, Michigan, North Carolina, Virginia, and Florida.
VIRGINIA'S YOUNG ADULTS – VOTER ENGAGEMENT
- 78% of Virginia Millennials plan to vote in the election for President this year.
- Only 35% believe that today's political leaders reflect the interests of young Americans.
- 75% believe that the lack of job opportunities is shrinking the American middle class.
- Only 26% say that the economic policies coming out of Washington are helping them.
- Only 35% of Virginia Millennials approve of President Obama's administration's handling of gas prices.
- How have increasing gas prices affected you in your day-to-day life? (Accepted multiple responses) (Randomized):
- 53% - Don't go out as much;
- 48% - Spend more to go to work;
- 45% - Have cut back on entertainment expenses;
- 44% - Have limited their leisure plans;
- 28% - Have put off vacation;
- 25% - Have cut back on groceries;
- 19% - Spend more to go to school;
- 15% - Have moved closer to work, school, or family;
- 13% - Spend more to look for a job;
- 13% - Have delayed paying other bills;
- 9% - Needed to get another job to pay for gas;
- 4% - Other;
- 7% - Do not know/cannot judge (accepted only this response).
- 66% would increase production of domestic American energy sources like oil, natural gas, and coal if given the opportunity to set America's fiscal priorities.
- When asked to rank the greatest threats to the national security of
the United States, young adults in
Virginia listed the following reasons: (Randomized List) (Accepted Multiple Responses)
- 60% - The national debt;
- 51% - Energy dependence;
- 49% - Indebtedness to foreign nations;
- 46% - Terrorism;
- 37% - Nuclear capable nations like Iran;
- 5% - Other;
- 9% - Do not know/cannot judge (accepted only this response).
- 51% are not confident that America will still be a global leader in five years if the USA continues along the same path as the last few years.
- Only 30% of Virginia Millennials agree with the statement "generally speaking, things in the United States are heading in the right direction."
- 70% prefer reducing federal spending over raising taxes on individuals to balance the budget.
- Only 37% approve of President Obama's administration's handling of youth unemployment.
- 80% would decrease federal spending if given the opportunity to set America's fiscal priorities.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV