Research On Robot Navigation And Mathematics Pays Off For Texas And Massachusetts Students With Siemens Competition Regional Win At The University Of Texas At Austin
Mr. Prasad is a member of the Science Bowl team and volunteers with his middle school's math team. He is also a black belt in Chung Do Kwan Tae Kwon Do. Mr. Prasad aspires to work in a mathematics-related field. "I enjoy the intense problem solving aspects of it, in addition to how beautiful many things are in mathematics," he said. The team's mentor on their project was Jesse Geneson, Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
The remaining regional finalists each received a $1,000 scholarship. Regional Finalists in the individual category were:
- Henry Lin, Caddo Parish Magnet High School, Shreveport, Louisiana
- Stanley Palasek, Sonoran Science Academy, Tucson, Arizona
- Diana Ruan, Bellaire Senior High School, Bellaire, Texas
- Louis Tao, Louisiana School for Math, Science, and the Arts, Natchitoches, Louisiana
Team Regional Finalists were:
- Ravi Jagadeesan, Phillips Exeter Academy, Exeter, New Hampshire, and Nihal Gowravaram, Acton-Boxborough Regional High School, Acton, Massachusetts
- Avira Som, Cypress Falls High School, Houston, Texas, and Benjamin Tu, Clements High School, Sugar Land, Texas
- Jesse Zhang, Fairview High School, Boulder, Colorado, and Elaine Lin, Seminole High School, Sanford, Florida
- Ziling Zhou, Belmont High School, Belmont, Massachusetts, and William Kuszmaul, Lexington High School, Lexington, Massachusetts
The Siemens Competition Launched in 1998, the Siemens Competition is the nation's premier science research competition for high school students. 2,255 students registered to enter the Siemens Competition this year for a total 1,504 projects submitted. 323 students were named semifinalists and 93 were named regional finalists, representing 25 states. Entries are judged at the regional level by esteemed scientists at six leading research universities which host the regional competitions: California Institute of Technology, Carnegie Mellon University, Georgia Institute of Technology, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, University of Notre Dame and The University of Texas at Austin.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts