Poll: Ohio Independent Young Adults Say Jobs Top Presidential Campaign Issue
Facebook and Text Messages Seen As Most Effective GOTV Reminders
WASHINGTON, Nov. 3, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Generation Opportunity today released data specifically on Independent voters from their comprehensive Ohio-specific survey of young adults ages 18-29. The poll found that 72 percent of Independent Millennials in Ohio plan to vote in the presidential election, only 19 percent believe the country is headed in the right direction, and 80 percent say key life decisions have been delayed by the poor national economy. The poll also found that of the "Get Out The Vote" (GOTV) reminder tools that will have an impact on Independent young voter turnout in Ohio, Facebook ranked first at 54 percent and text messages ranked second at 39 percent. Only 11 percent of Ohio's Independent young adults thought a phone call would be effective – a clear indication that smartphones and other mobile devices have reached a point of heavy market penetration within the demographic.
- Only 13% of Independent young adults in Ohio say that the economic policies coming out of Washington are helping them.
- Only 28% approve of President Obama's handling of youth unemployment.
- Only 30% think that President Obama's policies have helped create jobs in Ohio.
- 73% agree with the statement "the economy grows best when individuals are allowed to create businesses without government interference."
- 76% agree with the statement "if taxes on business profits were reduced, companies would be more likely to hire."
- 69% believe the availability of more quality, full-time jobs upon graduation is more important than lower student loan interest rates.
- 71% say the availability of more quality, full-time jobs with health insurance plans is more important than the ability to stay on their parents' health insurance plans until they are 26.
- 80% would decrease federal spending if given the opportunity to set America's fiscal priorities.
- 77% prefer reducing federal spending over raising taxes on individuals to balance the budget.
- 65% would increase production of domestic American energy sources like oil, natural gas, and coal if given the opportunity to set America's fiscal priorities.
- 72% of 18-29 year old Ohio Independents plan to vote in the election for President this year.
- Only 26% believe that today's political leaders reflect the interests of young Americans.
- Only 19% agree with the statement "generally speaking, things in the United States are heading in the right direction."
- 64% are not confident that America will still be a global leader in five years if the USA continues along the same path as the last few years.
- 46% agreed they will learn more about the policy positions of the presidential candidates in 2012 than they did in 2008.
- Which will be the more important to you in casting your vote for President in 2012?
- 53% - A candidate's position on issues and a record in public office;
- 8% - A candidate's personal characteristics, like charisma and likeability;
- 30% - They are of equal importance (accepted only this response);
- 6% - Neither is important / something else;
- 3% - Do not know/cannot judge (accepted only this response).
- Which of the following, if any, would make young people more likely to vote? (Accepted multiple responses) (Randomized):
- 54% - Facebook reminder message;
- 39% - Text message reminder;
- 29% - Email reminder;
- 16% - Public service announcement;
- 11% - Phone call;
- 22% - None of the above (accepted only this response);
- 4% - Do not know/cannot judge (accepted only this response).
- 75% of Independent Millennials in Ohio believe that the lack of job opportunities is shrinking the American middle class.
- 80% had planned to but now might delay or not make at all a major life change or move forward on a major purchase due to the current state of the economy (Accepted multiple responses) (Randomized):
- 50% - Buy their own place;
- 36% - Go back to school/getting more education or training;
- 28% - Start a family;
- 24% - Pay off student loans or other debt;
- 23% - Change jobs/cities;
- 22% - Save for retirement;
- 19% - Get married;
- 18% - None of the above (accepted only this response);
- 2% - Do not know/cannot judge (accepted only this response).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV