READING, Pa., Nov. 3, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- More than 2,000 workers from Metropolitan Edison Company (Met-Ed), other FirstEnergy utilities, and contractors continue to work around the clock to restore service following Hurricane Sandy, which tore through the company's 15-county Pennsylvania service area earlier this week. As of 3 p.m. today, Met-Ed has restored service to approximately 240,000 customers – about 90 percent of the customers impacted by the hurricane – with about 30,000 still without power.
Significant damage from downed trees and branches in hard-hit Berks, Bucks, Northampton, Monroe and Pike counties are the major cause of remaining outages. Staging sites in Nazareth and Nockamixon State Park are being used to help coordinate and speed completion of restoration efforts in Bucks, Northampton, Monroe and Pike counties. A third staging site in Oley is supporting restoration efforts in the Reading/ Berks area.
"We continue to work as quickly and safely as possible through our restoration plan to return full service to all customers," said Mike Doran, Met-Ed regional president. "We have made good, steady progress and believe our restoration efforts will be completed very early this coming week. Thanks to our customers for their patience as we recover from this historic storm; we know the inconvenience a power outage causes.
"Safety continues to be our primary concern – for our customers, the general public and our employees. As a reminder, some communities will be holding Trick or Treat events today – it's important for everyone to remember to never go near a downed power line or remove trees, limbs or branches from power lines. Thanks are also extended to the crews engaged in restoration for working in a safe, diligent manner to restore service to customers," Doran added.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV