- Be wary of contractors who solicit door-to-door. Work only with established contractors and those who have a solid reputation.
- Work only with licensed, bonded and insured contractors and have them provide you with documentation.
- Require references and check them out.
- Check with your local Better Business Bureau to see if any complaints have been filed against contractors you are considering. Victims of contractor fraud often file complaints.
- Don't feel pressured into signing a contract, and never sign a contract with blanks. A contract should include the contractor's name, business name, phone number and address.
- Avoid payment-in-full up front. Some contractors may require a partial up front payment, but the amount should not exceed approximately 20% of the total estimate amount.
- Never let work begin on your home or business until the contract is finalized.
- Don't pay a contractor in full or sign a completion certificate until the job is completed and you are satisfied with the work — avoid making cash payments.
- If anyone performs unauthorized work on your property and demands payment, consider contacting authorities.
- Never let anyone persuade you to seek reimbursement for nonexistent or exaggerated losses or damages. This is insurance fraud, which is a felony.
Allstate: Be Aware Of Contractor Fraud Following Sandy
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.