Yet earnings and cash flow continue to grow and AAA-rated JNJ has raised their dividend 50 straight years. With new management there is a renewed focus on running their business. The acquisition of Synthes is adding to earnings and with earnings of $5.07 (per share) in 2012 and $5.45 (per share) in 2013 stock appears inexpensive to us.
What areas of the market are you presently avoiding?
Bradshaw: Utilities trade at big multiples and are too expensive now. You've probably been hearing that from a lot of fund managers, but we believe it to be true.
Finally, what is your outlook for 2013?Bradshaw: At Hodges, we are bullish on US equities for 2013 and expect stocks to outperform bonds. All in all, it should be a good year for stocks. --Written by Gregg Greenberg in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV