Sunrise Senior Living Provides Safe Harbor For Seniors Displaced By Hurricane Sandy
MCLEAN, Va., Nov. 2, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- While millions of families struggle with the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy, Sunrise Senior Living (NYSE: SRZ) is offering emergency, short-term stays for older adults and their pets in storm-stricken areas.
Sunrise communities are offering special rates for emergency stays of up to 60 days in furnished apartments for those seniors impacted by the storm. The communities provide three meals a day, 24-hour personal care by trained staff, medication management and daily activities.
"Our hearts go out to the communities and families hit by this storm," said Laura McDuffie, executive vice president and head of Operations at Sunrise. "We know how stressful this can be, especially when precious possessions and homes are devastated. We want to help ease this stress by providing a warm and safe environment where seniors can thrive."
Family members can help older adults coping with relocation caused by the storm by:
- Helping them understand: Take the time to explain in detail what damage has occurred and why it is necessary to relocate, even just temporarily. Acknowledge their distress and encourage them to share their feelings.
- Allowing them to grieve: Let them take some time to process any loss, including their property. Help them identify one or two small things, even if something is not salvageable, to take with them as a reminder of their home. It may help them be more at peace with moving on from what is left.
- Supporting their adaptation: Moving to a new location can cause disorientation, especially for seniors suffering from memory loss, hearing loss or low vision. Gently remind them of what occurred and discuss their new location frequently. Make sure their necessities, such as glasses, medication, and even a large clock and calendar, are easily accessible. Display a familiar item close by so they feel at home.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV