BPH: The Other Prostate Problem
NEW YORK, Nov. 2, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Dr. David Samadi, top robotic prostatectomy SMART surgeon, knows a thing or two about prostates. In fact, he's successfully removed more than 4,000 of them from men with prostate cancer. But cancer isn't the only prostate problem out there. Benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), or hypertrophy, is an overgrowth of prostate cells causing an enlarged prostate gland. Dr. Samadi is also a leader in BPH surgery, performing significantly more TURP and Photoselective Vaporization of the Prostate (PVP) prostate surgeries each year than most urologists. GreenLight TM Laser PVP is one of several PVP surgeries available.
BPH is not cancerous and does not cause cancer, but the symptoms of BPH and the propensity for men to develop it are strikingly similar to prostate cancer. The incidence of BPH seems to follow right along with a man's age. An enlarged prostate occurs in about 50% of men by age 50 and 80% of men by age 80.
BPH SymptomsLike prostate cancer, the symptoms of BPH can vary from one man to the next. More often, BPH becomes enough of a lifestyle inhibitor that men pursue diagnosis. As prostate cells multiply, the prostate enlarges and restricts the urethra making urination uncomfortable and unpredictable.Do I have BPH?BPH symptoms start off as mild nuisances, but gradually progress as the condition worsens. Referred to as Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms (LUTS), they may include:
- Gotta "go" - frequent urination, especially at night, plus a constant urge to go
- Slow flow – a urine stream that's slow, weak, or stops and starts
- Dribble trouble – dripping or leaking after urination
- Still full – the sensation that the bladder never fully empties
- Sex stop – erectile dysfunction (ED) or pain during orgasm
- Obvious problem – blood in the urine or pain and burning after urination
- Family history – if your dad has BPH, you may too
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts