Furniture Manufacturer KI Invites America's Workforce To Take A Stand Against Sitting This Election.
GREEN BAY, Wis., Nov. 2, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Taxation, healthcare and national debt may be on the minds of millions of Americans getting ready to vote. But there's one issue that's been "taxing" the backs of America's workforce for far too long—sitting. And contract furniture manufacturer KI is rising to the occasion this election day by inviting all Americans to take a stand—literally—to emphasize the growing importance of ergonomics and on-the-job movement in the workplace.
"Regardless of which side of the aisle you're on, chances are you've been sitting for too long," says Shawn Green, vice president of design and product marketing. "Research shows that on average, adults spend more than nine hours a day in oxymoronic sedentary activities. And sitting too long leads to sharp declines in workplace productivity, poor posture and a host of employee health issues, including a rise in obesity and the increased prevalence of lower back problems. It's time we get America back on its feet."
The trend toward a more sedentary lifestyle — from daily desk jobs to the nocturnal couch surfing — brings far greater risks.
- Over the past 50 years, the transition from hoeing fields to clicking a mouse means that Americans burn 120 to 140 fewer calories per day.
- In the 1960s, nearly half of all jobs required physical activity of some kind. Today, less than 20 percent of jobs require mobility.
- According to a 2010 American Cancer Society survey, women who sit more than six hours a day were 37% more likely to die prematurely than women who sat for less than three hours. In men, this death rate was 18% higher.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV