A State-by-state Look At Superstorm's Effects
Mayor Michael Bloomberg canceled the New York City Marathon after mounting criticism that it was wrong to hold it while the region is still recovering from superstorm Sandy. The cost of the storm could exceed $18 billion in New York alone. Gov. Andrew Cuomo told utilities to step up power repair work or risk losing business in the state. With fuel shortages, motorists fumed in long lines at gas stations around New York City. All three of the city's major airports were back open. Subway and commuter rail services were partly restored. The state created a $100 million fund to help people hit the hardest. Deaths: 48, including 41 in New York City. Power outages: Nearly 1.2 million, down from 2.2 million.
The Coast Guard orders a formal investigation into the sinking of the famous HMS Bounty off Cape Hatteras during the hurricane Monday. One crew member died and the captain was missing. Deaths: 2. Power outages: None, down from 126,000.PENNSYLVANIA Between 250 and 300 polling places remained without power just days before Tuesday's election. The Red Cross closed all but two of its emergency shelters in the state. Deaths: 15. Power outages: More than 200,000, down from 1.2 million. RHODE ISLAND Gov. Lincoln Chafee signs a request seeking a presidential disaster declaration in three of the state's five counties. Organizers recruit volunteers to spend the day Saturday in Westerly's beach community, where they will clear away debris and remove sand that inundated homes, shops and other businesses. Deaths: None. Power outages: 7,800, down from more than 122,000. VERMONT Amtrak service was disrupted Friday because of the storm. Vermont was sending utility crews, Red Cross and other volunteers to help storm victims in New York. Deaths: None. Power outages: mostly restored, down from more than 10,000.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV