A State-by-state Look At Superstorm's Effects
The Associated Press
The massive storm that started out as Hurricane Sandy slammed into the East Coast and morphed into a huge and problematic system, killing at least 105 people in the United States. Power outages now stand at more than 3.5 million homes and businesses, down from a peak of 8.5 million. Here's a snapshot of what is happening, state by state.
Gas shortages in the New York area sends motorists across state lines to Connecticut in search of fuel. Lines form at gas stations near Interstate 95. Memorial service planned Saturday for volunteer Easton firefighter Russell Neary, killed during the storm while clearing tree debris from a road. Deaths: 3. Power outages: 227,500, down from a peak of 625,000.MASSACHUSETTS As Massachusetts returns to normal, it sends volunteers and National Guard members to help in storm-battered New York. Massachusetts' federally-owned T.S. Kennedy heading to Elizabeth, N.J., on Sunday. The 540-foot ship will serve as a "hotel" for emergency workers, power crews and others helping the region get back on its feet. Deaths: None. Power outages: about 1,000, down from 400,000. NEW HAMPSHIRE Officials estimate it will be the weekend before power is fully restored. Deaths: 1. Power outages: 1,300, down from 210,000. NEW JERSEY The state police raised the death toll from the storm to 22, up from 14. Atlantic City's 12 casinos, closed in advance of the storm, start reopening after Gov. Chris Christie gives them the OK. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood views the storm damage in Ocean County. Motorists face another day of long lines for gas. Unemployment benefits are made available to two more counties where residents lost jobs because of the storm. The state sets up a hotline to help pet owners find their pets. Deaths: 22. Power outages: 1.5 million, down from 2.7 million.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV